You see, in Japan, Your toilet and your shower are in separate rooms. In fact, your shower is a room covered in rubber from floor to ceiling, so you can splash water on the walls and floor, curtain free. Thus, there is no place to put your towel. Thus, you have to open your door to get your towel. Do you see where this is going?
Japanese homes also don’t have insulation. I don’t know why. I guess being warm just never caught on. But whatever the reason, the fact remains that a Japanese home is pretty much just as cold as the outside. So when I’m feeling nice and happy warm, filled with joy from the steam on my nape, the last thing I want to do is open the door. But I have to.
And it sucks! Opening the door just crack is like having Mr. Freeze, Captain Cold, Ice Man, and Samus Aran blast their ice beams straight at your nipples. Then your skin tightens, you shake, grimace, cringe, and start hating puppies. Nobody wants to feel that way. Especially me. I love puppies!
That’s an extreme example of my hate for cold, though. I really hate cold in all its forms. I’ve hated it all my life. But there was always one thing that I looked forward to when it began to get chilly. One thing that kept me from lashing out at small children in the park. The Holiday Season.
I speak, of course, of that wonderful conglomerate of used-to-be Christian holidays that force us to drown our sorrows in a mix of candy corn, turkey, and presents. I’ve loved these mostly-empty celebrations of nothing for all the superficial reasons. And being in Japan did not change my intense excitement for the holidays. As soon as that chill hit my pasty white arms, I thought, “Ah, I may be filled with rage, but at least Halloween is coming soon.” Yes, I love Halloween. I love candy, costumes, and creepy/grisly horror. So when my school asked me to give a Halloween lesson, I was ecstatic.
So I began planning my lesson with love and care. I even made my own game instead of stealing one from a website! It was going to be grandiose.
The day came when I gave my first Halloween lesson. I showed the ‘This is Halloween’ clip from “The Nightmare Before Christmas”, I showed pictures of my old Halloween costumes, we watched the SpongeBob Halloween special, and finished with my game. I must say one of my proudest moments was getting a classroom full of Japanese kids to say “Don’t cross the streams.” I really wanted to get them to say “This is my boomstick,” but out of context, that line could get me in trouble.
So I taught the lesson to class after class, waiting for my Halloween excitement to rise, as it normally did. But around the sixteenth, I was no more excited about Halloween than I was on the first. Where was my Halloween spirit? Time marched forward, as it tends to do. The eighteenth. The twentieth. Nothing. Lesson after lesson. The twenty-third. Nothing.
Now JET Halloween parties were being planned. People (foreign people, I mean) were talking about costumes and candy. But for some reason, I didn’t care. For the first time, I didn’t want to dress up. I didn’t want candy or scary movies. Something was wrong, but I didn’t know what.
Finally, after one of my lessons, I asked a student, “Did you enjoy Halloween lesson?” He thought for a while, mostly because he was piecing together the English. Finally he looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. “Ma ma,” he said.
Ma ma? Ma ma?! My lesson was better than ma ma! It was sugoi! It was jouzu! But it certainly wasn’t ma ma. I went to students from previous classes.
“Do you remember? Halloween lesson? Harowin oboiteiru? Was it good?” They would think and then say “ma ma,” or “so-so,” or “okay.”
This did not compute. This hardcore did not compute! They were laughing in class. They were entranced by SpongeBob’s ghostly antics. They had fun pretending I was a zombie and hitting me with umbrellas. So how could it be ma ma?
Then it hit me. Japan is the country that Halloween forgot. No one celebrates Halloween here. No one here knows the true meaning of Halloween. The schools don’t have pumpkins and ghosts. TV is missing horror movie marathons and ghostly versions of popular cartoons. The stores are devoid of the unavoidable command to buy oceans of candy to give to strangers, lest your house be egged and pooped on. That’s the true meaning of Halloween. It’s about everyone being surrounded by Halloween crap until you hate yourself for not participating.
So that’s why the kids didn’t get excited about one of the best holidays ever. They can’t be. They’re not surrounded by the commercialized hype. And that’s why this year, I just don’t care about one of my favorite holidays. Tomorrow is Halloween and I don’t have a costume. I had an idea, but I just didn’t care enough to put it together. I don’ care about candy. I don’t care because Japan doesn’t care, and I wanted it to care so very much.
But despite this, I’m still going to the Halloween party. I’m still going to watch every Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode I have. I’m still going to play through Darkstalkers with every character. I’m still going to eat bitter Japanese chocolate that doesn’t taste very good because they have no concept of sugar here. Because it’s the right thing to do! It’s the Halloweenie thing to do.
And I know that once I shoddily put together a costume and smatter fake blood on myself, I’ll feel better. I always feel better when I’m covered in blood. So Happy Halloween everyone! I hope your Halloween is scary and bright. I will do my best to make the most of this non-Halloween I have coming up. I’ll do it…for America! Peace out. I leave you with these Halloween drawings.
This one is just a Halloween greeting I made. Happy Halloween!
Zombie fighting guy. He has no name. Drawn on crappy paper.
Zombie fighting guy again. Also, the first time I've tried shading in about two years.
A gross monster? He just looks like a dumb Ultraman monster to me.
One of the teachers at my school requested a comic for her birthday. Her birthday happens to be on Halloween.
4 comments:
So about Japan and Halloween. I was thinking. Don't take it personal. I don't the Japanese really like to think about death all that much. Especially celebrating the dead. May have something to do with the past.....Put the pieces together and it kind of makes sense.
I loved the comics. And don't let Japan ruin your holiday spirit. I fully intend on getting just as excited for christmas here as I do in the states. Remember, true holiday spirit lies in the heart, not in the country.
Will
Hey Michael! I LOVE reading all your blogs and keeping up with what you think of Japan. I totally agree with you about the Japanese with Halloween. Even though Japan might have the scariest/goriest stories or movies, they just don't celebrate that holiday. Have fun getting your nipples frozen off (and then putting them back together under the kotatsu!) :)
P.S. Your drawings and comics are AWESOME!
Bro, I'm with you in spirit in terms of having no spirit.
The essence of Halloween has eluded me like women I wish to speak my feelings to...
But I say hang in there. Yes, Halloween is over for you, but for me, it has just started today. I will watch a scary movie, cuddle up with a blanket, and pretend you are there with me. Too gay?
But seriously, your blogs = awesome! Save them all and publish a book called Japan: The Michael Richey story.
Don't ever stop being you.
xxoo
Well if it's possible, I'd say your drawings are getting better and better. I think the Zombie Fighting Guy is amazing. You should really do a comic with that guy. Maybe like you've done, like one panel comics of this guy. Give him a personality too. wow. good comic.
Well It's a little past Halloween now, but Drew and I went trick o' Treatin' and it was fabulous. How did we go trick or treating you ask? Well, we decided that we couldn't be seen, so we went with the sheet over your head ghost thing. Then we decided we were still tall and Drew's shoulders are broad, so it evolved eventually into a Ghost Cow (Drew as the head, me as the hiney) Two part costumes are always a great idea in theory. Then you get out there and your back hurts like a pregnant woman's back while walking a 5k. Well worth the loads of candy we received and the many many comments we had bouncing to a fro from house to house.
Oh and I saw your pictures of your Halloween and it looks like it turned out to be awesome despite the beginning of the day. great blog. make a book.
Post a Comment